Re: Package names...

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 08:46:55AM -0700 , David Bristel wrote:
> I apologise if this issue has been brought up before(and I suspect it has), but
> I am wondering if anything can be done to help clarify and group packages based
> on name.  Currently, we have console-apt, gnome-apt, as well as apt-move, and

IMHO console-apt and gnome-apt have (almost) no relationship to apt (they use
it's package cache).

> the libapt-pkg.  Is there a reason for the lack of consistancy?  apt-console,
> apt-gnome, apt-move, these show they are related to the apt package.  The same

Personaly I'm happier with {console,gnome}-apt that the reverse.

> can be said for many other packages and groups of packages.  If we attempt to
> keep the package names with the base package-<something>, it will be a LOT
> easier to see what the package is related to.  xf86-<something> for packages
> related to XFree86.  apache-<something> for all those modules and related

for apache it's libapache_xxxx_mod. Python add-on modules use python-*,
perl modules use libxxx-perl.

> packages for Apache.
>
> This is just a thought, but if this change is acceptable, then it will make it

Discuss this on -policy list.

> easier for our users.  Also, with some of the name changes we have seen
> recently, it would make sense if we had SOME sort of policy on this issue.

policy is, that libraries should have package names lib<soname>.

				Petr Čech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz