Re: Proposal of new group

According to Tomasz Wegrzanowski:
> > Think of command line arguments, environment variables .. that's
> > all 'user input'
>
> This (command line arguments, environment variables) is
> what i checked in manpages.

Never ever trust manpages. Read the source.

> But theres nothing about
> such things (i though about these when i said userinput
> such things as additional scripts etc. would be surely
> security holes)

There certainly is. For example, the "warning-message" you can specify
on the command line. Did you check to see if it perhaps is copied into
an internal fixed-size buffer? Which would then easy to overflow?
Poof, root shell.

Also, argument to "-t" is passed unaltered to "init". Perhaps you
can overflow something in init itself that way ?

Now, both of the things I mentioned are secure. I checked the source for
this. But there might be other exploits, or I might have overlooked
something.

Really, *never ever* promote some random program to a setuid program
without auditing the source extensively. That's the only thing I
am trying to get across in this thread.

Mike.
--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.