Re: shutdown/reboot (was: proposal of new group)

According to Seth R Arnold:
> I think this might be debian-specific -- I do remember on other versions of
> unix, and probably even on other linux distributions -- that calling halt or
> reboot directly is a Very Bad Thing, unless things are worse on their own. :)

Well it's pretty much linux-specific. Before sysvinit people used
a BSD-like init (simpleinit) that came with "halt" and "reboot"
commands. So "halt" and "reboot" of sysvinit have a hack to detect that
they are called by the user wanting to do a controlled shutdown.

And it actually works - usually ...

Mike.
--
First things first, but not necessarily in that order.