Re: debhelper: /usr/doc problems again

> The question is, should the migration, for packages which want to
> do it at all, be enforced? I.e., should the old doc directory be
> deleted (rm -rf) before dh_installdocs tries to create the link?
> 'ln -snf' (no dereference) might help for wrong links.

I am confused. Are you talking about build time (when dh_installdocs is
executed) or install time (when preinst generated by dh_installdocs is
run)? I suspect you meant install time.

Are there any checks (eg in lintian) that ensure packages do not come
with /usr/doc??

Perhaps dh_installdocs could move the files under /usr/doc to
/usr/share/doc, at build time??? (just a thought - not sure I like this
myself).

> Currently, dh_installdocs does nothing with the link, if a file,
> directory or another (even wrong) link exists. Do we "support"
> user changes to directories in /usr/doc? If not, it should be safe
> to delete old directories in preinst or so.

As an alternative, I would suggest moving any files from /usr/doc to
/usr/share/doc. Of course, this would have to be done after any dpkg
managed files under /usr/doc have already been deleted, especially if
upgrading.
--
Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>