Re: SSH never free

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 06:05:53PM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Here's a quote from the policy:
>
>      `Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG or
>      which are encumbered by patents or other legal issues that make their
>      distribution problematic.

Encumbered by patents should be non-us, not non-free.  And even there,
only for cases where someone makes an issue of it.

Reason?  Everything is encumbered by patents.  At least in the U.S.,
you're presumed to be guilty of patent infringement until proven innocent.

Also, if there are legal issues associated with a DFSG program which
can't be addressed by moving the package to non-US we should probably
either set up a new repository for that kind of package or else not
distribute it at all.

I propose that the above language be changed to:

      `Non-free' contains packages which are not compliant with the DFSG.

Thanks,

--
Raul