Re: [PROPOSED] Split /cgi-bin/ into system and local parts

I'd like to re-open discussion on a proposal I made some time ago.  The
current policy on the setting of "cgi-bin" tends to interfere with how most
webmasters set up their sites.  Most people setting up a web site expect /cgi-bin/ to be available for scripts on their site.  Unfortunately, Debian
uses this for those scripts packages that get installed.  These two need to
be independant.

As such, I think Debian's system should be altered a bit.  I recommend using
instead the name "/cgi-lib/" for scripts under /usr/lib/cgi-bin/.  This
will keep both features independant and not affect the general use of
the system.

More information about this as well as some potential problems and potential
solutions can be found in the history of this bug.

	http://www.debian.org/Bugs/db/32/32263.html

                                          Brian
                                  ( bcwhite@pobox.com )

It's easier to go down the mountain than up, but the view is best from the top.