Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

Julio <julio@pobox.com> writes:

> Given the comments on my proposal, I'm rewriting it to the following:
>
> 1. to provide support for separation of local initialization
> scripts, allow update-rc.d to handle subdirectories. So, a
> /etc/init.d/local (or whatever) dir could be created and a script
> within this dir could be linked to rc?.d with 'update-rc.d
> local/99ascript defaults'.

How are you going to deal with a local sysadmin who creates a
script called /etc/init.d/local/ppp, and then runs:

  update-rc.d local/ppp defaults

You cannot replace the S20ppp links that were put in by ppp, so
presumably you'll have to translate it to something like S20local-ppp.

That being the case, why not simply suggest that sysadmins avoid name
collisions by putting ``local-'' on the front of their init.d scripts.

The only policy change then required is that people not name packages
local-*, which seems like a reasonably good idea anyway, since that
leaves those names for local packages.

Cheers, Phil.