Re: /usr/doc transition and other things

On Tue, 31 Aug 1999, Johnie Ingram wrote:

> "Raul" == Raul Miller <moth@magenta.com> writes:
>
> Raul> I guess this means that you didn't read
> Raul> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-announce-9908/msg00005.html?
>
> I read it, and I've waited over 20 days, but we're no closer to a
> solution.  Folling the new Policy would at least make potato
> consistent again, and if some symlinks need to be added later,
> somewhere, no big deal.

There is currently a vote underway in the technical committee. Raul and
myself have voted, and are waiting for the others on the committee to
vote.

If you wish to provide positive stimuli towards resolution, you are
encouraged to contact the other members of the committee and encourage
them to cast their votes as well, so we can move ahead with this release.

> Raul> apparent that this quick and dirty stuff is getting in the way
> Raul> of a decent solution.
>
> The existence of a problem to begin with is debatable, but I won't go
> there.

And rightly so ;-) The committee spent some time debating just exactly
what the issue really was. I resolved it to be "least surprise" for users
by retaining /usr/doc during the transition. I tend to agree that
elevating such an issue to such a high tension level of importance is
probably not the coolest thing we have done recently ;-) but our defined
process leaves us with little choice but to press ahead.

So encourage the other committee members to cast their votes in the
current ballet before this committee, so we can get on with our lives.

Luck,

Dwarf