Re: /usr/doc transition and other things

"Joey" == Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

Joey> A hint: nobody ever claimed building packages that used
Joey> /usr/share/doc would be a problem. In fact, as long ago as 2
Joey> years, people were confident debhelper would handle that part of
Joey> the transition very easily. That's not the problem. Do you know
Joey> what the problem is?

Perhaps not, but let me take some stabs at it.

The problem is (1) that Policy has made a big change without any kind
of transition plan, obsoleting all of potato and making it
incompatible with slink in a noticable way.  (Bad for partial
upgrades.)

The problem is (2) that the issue is no longer under democratic
control; its been referred to a committee where, after weeks of
deliberations while the Project stagnates, they may decide to scrap
the FHS and return to the FSSTND, IMO a step backward.

The problem is (3) that problem (2) bothers me far more than (1) does.
Is this the same Project that bravely took on the ELF transition, and
the libc6 transition?  That agreed to be part of the LSB and its more
modern standards?

There are things we can do to slink now, to make this upgrade more
palatable.  I'd rather not trash Policy because of it, but then its
not really up to me.

Joey> (If not I may have to try to explain it one more time. Bleh.)

Well it couldn't hurt -- perhaps I'm missing something.

		netgod

"ah, Linus, he has absolutely no taste as far as Linux distributions go"
        --- Lars Wirzenus