Re: /usr/doc transition and other things

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 01:57:51AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> Consider something like: ``Your package has /usr/doc/copyright/package
> instead of /usr/doc/package/copyright''. That almost certainly doesn't
> cause a problem with the package itself. And the copyright is included,
> and it doesn't actually get in anyone's way in particular. So, afaict,
> the only reason to consider it a "bug" is because it doesn't conform
> to current policy. I think it's perfectly reasonable to file bugs about
> that, even if the package has a Standards-Version: header that matches
> a version of policy that says to do it that way.

And don't forget about packages like dhelp, dwww, web servers, ...
[All of which have been brought up in debian-policy discussion in the
past months.]

The above lintian warning is directly related to an interface, specified
in policy, which some software uses.

If, as some people have suggested, /usr/doc/ were completely useless,
moving it would not be a problem.  However, Debian is more than just a
waste of disk space [this is a good thing, in my opinion].

--
Raul