Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 02:38:58AM +0300, Brock Rozen wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 at 02:00, julio wrote about "Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories...":
>
> > > 0 * * * *       generate_web_stats
> > > @reboot eggdrop
> > >
> > > That second line (I think I got it right), is valid in a crontab file and
> > > makes the job be run on reboot. (This is documented only in the cron source
> > > -- did you know @yearly, @monthly, @midnight, etc are valid too?)
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, I didn't knew crontab could be used for that.
>
> This really should be documented -- if that's the case.
>
> > > Sysadmins everywhere would curse us if we put a globally writable directory
> > > in /etc, which is on the root filesystem which is often pretty tightly
> > > locked down.
> >
> > Maybe I haven't made my idea clear enough. .rc.d would be created on a per-user basis.
>
> Then why not have it be in the home directory of each user in a
> sub-directory there. Just like ~/public_html is done with Apache.
>
> But if crontab does what it said above -- then is there any need for this?

That's the idea, to create something like ~/.rc.d
There is no need for local init dirs if cron does provide that functionality.  I'm not sure, however, that this is a non-experimental functionality in cron (and even so it should be documented). Anyway, the user init directories can be easier for end users to maintain, and so it can be a good idea to implement them.