Re: [PROPOSAL] Directories for local initialization scripts

Julio wrote:
> init scritps, I'd like to propose the creation of a mechanism to handle
> user init scripts. Some users actually need to have persistent processes
> between reboots, and using similar functionalities for the system init
> mechanisms could be interesting.

0 * * * *       generate_web_stats
@reboot eggdrop

That second line (I think I got it right), is valid in a crontab file and
makes the job be run on reboot. (This is documented only in the cron source
-- did you know @yearly, @monthly, @midnight, etc are valid too?)

> To make things easier, this could be
> implemented using a single user dir (something like .rc.d) to contain the
> user scripts. These scripts would run after all the regular system init
> scripts (for the 'unlocked' users).

Sysadmins everywhere would curse us if we put a globally writable directory
in /etc, which is on the root filesystem which is often pretty tightly
locked down.

--
see shy jo