Re: What would the tree look like? (was Re: er)

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 12:53:34PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> How about this:
>   Any examples (configurations, source files, whatever), should be
>   installed in a directory /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples'. These
>   files should not be referenced by any program--they're there
>   for the benefit of the system administrator and users, as documentation
> - only.
> + only. Architecture-specific example files should be installed in a directory
> + /usr/lib/<package>/examples, and files in
> + /usr/share/doc/<package>/examples symlink to files in it. Or the latter
>   directory may be a symlink to the former.

Why would we have architecture specific examples? The only reason I can
think of is to help specify a data format that differs across platforms
(example programs should be given in source).

But in this case, wouldn't it be more useful to have them all available
everywhere, so that when you're making use of the examples you can get at
all the data formats at once, without having to have a machine running
each different architecture?

That is, something like:

	/usr/share/doc/buggy-prog/examples/compressed_image_lend.xmg
	/usr/share/doc/buggy-prog/examples/compressed_image_bend.xmg

(a big-endian and a little-endian example, presuming that's the difference)

I'm not convinced the proposal is necessary (the problem's non-existant
atm afaik), and that even if it was, that it's the right solution.

Cheers,
aj

 ``The thing is: trying to be too generic is EVIL. It's stupid, it
        results in slower code, and it results in more bugs.''
                                        -- Linus Torvalds