Re: I'd like to coordinate a major update of stable

On 16 Aug 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         Whatever happened to the idea of having pools of package
>  (presented by aj)? The idea was that packages always be uploaded to
>  an unstable ``pool'' of packages. After meeting vertain criteria
>  (minimuym time in unstable with no bugs, or no important bugs,
>  indication from maintainer that they are ready to be moved from the
>  unstable ppool), they would be moved to a staging area (that would
>  allow packages to be moved only when dependencies are all satisfied).
>  Then, packages are moved from the staging area to the stable pool.

I think a 'testing and staging' area would be good for _most_ uploads.
Just as there is a bug-tracking system, an easy means of providing
positive feedback on these uploads would help. A developer would have more
confidence in his package before allowing it to enter the stable and/or
unstable trees. Maybe this would help reduce the number of open bug
reports on packages in stable and unstable. There are some simple
questions that could be put on a form that would eliminate some of the
main reasons a package should not be installed in either the stable or
unstable tree. One that I have run into a few times is when the package
will only install cleanly if a previous version is installed. Sometimes
the opposite - have to purge the old one first. It would really help a
developer if he could upload to an area that means "please test this and
let me know what happens".

pw