Let's just convert debhelper and do NMUs

On the /usr/share/doc vs. /usr/doc issue....

Given that:

 - we're going in circles at present
 - dpkg is unlikely to be fixed in the near future, and relying on the
   user having a working dpkg is a dangerous assumption
 - most packages use either debhelper or debstd

why don't we follow the Perl team's lead by modifying debhelper
appropriately (I believe debstd has already been done) and giving a
month's notice to all developers about rebuilding their packages with
the new /usr/share/doc location using the new debhelper/debstd if they
use those tools.  Any packages which have not been so modified in that
period can be auto-rebuilt if they use deb{helper,std}, leaving a
relatively small number of packages using /usr/doc which will need
manual NMUs.  And all that would be necessary in the short term for
those packages would be
 mkdir debian/tmp/usr/share; mv debian/tmp/usr/doc debian/tmp/usr/share
or similar in the appropriate place in the debian/rules file.

I think that with a change as large as this, people must expect
inconsistencies if they perform partial upgrades/downgrades.  And the
longer we don't do anything, the closer we will be to release and the
harder it will become.

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk
        Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://www.debian.org/~jdg