Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 03:01:46PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> I *never* talked about severity levels of bugs. You say FHS is not
> release-critical for potato, and I agree, but this does *not* mean that we
> don't have to switch to FHS.

You're right, we do have to switch.  Not all at once.

> > Then /var/mail is already policy and anything not using it should have
> > bugs filed already. [...]
>
> Yes, /var/mail is already policy.
>
> But we should probably modify policy so that we don't follow /var/mail
> yet, as an exception (I think it was Ian Jackson who started this
> thread).

I don't see why.  We have to support both (since any third party program
following the FHS/LSB specs will use /var/mail) and we can support it in a
matter of ... however long it takes to build/upload a new base-files and
to have dinstall run.

Regardless of when the policy takes effect, base-files needs to be updated
to create the thing as necessary right now because we've got packages
using it right now in Debian and there are those third party things to
worry about too.

> > > If you mean there should not be mass bug reports regarding FHS yet, I
> > > agree, but that's all.
> >
> > I mean that policy should simply state that policy should state the
> > desired behavior.  It should not be tied to releases and we shouldn't go
> > about adding things to policy for specific versions of Debian.
>
> Well, I disagree. Sometimes we have to do that. Think about the info
> transition for example. We absolutely need to be sure that no package
> is using install-info's --infodir option in a hardcoded fashion, before we
> decide to move the index `dir' file to /usr/share/info.

This is very easy to do, and I suspect there's a lintian test for it too.
I don't think policy should say that packages for potato may use hardcoded
infodirs but anything after potato may not.  Instead policy should say not
to use hardcoded infodir options and if it turns out that it's okay to do
for potato because of the transition, well, we don't have to worry about
anything that does.

Of course I don't know about the install-info thing.  If RIGHT NOW
packages can't do that then those packages must be fixed before release,
not because of FHS migration, but because they will be broken otherwise.

What I am objecting to is wording in policy to the effect that we should
do something, followed by "don't do this for potato".  Especially if it
doesn't really matter if it's done for potato or not.

> > [...]
> > Given that your entire objection to this proposal is that you don't want
> > to see anybody implement it YET for some reason either I'm incapible of
> > understanding or you're not explaining, I don't see the problem. [...]
>
> I *did* explain: Lots of *Pre-Dependencies* on base-files. I think this is
> bad, becuse upgrading without apt will make the upgrade to be *painful*.
>
> "Pre-Dependency problem, foo not unpacked because it pre-depends on
> base-files >= bar, base-files >= bar is not installed yet".

Um, so ....  upload a base-files that does this now and let it get
installed into a few mirrors...  If the dselect methods cannot handle
this, they are broken.  apt can handle it and is AFAIK the default with
potato now that apt has a working cdrom method...

> > All packages are not supposed to be reuploaded for FHS compliance, yet
> > this is policy.
>
> Mmm, I don't understand... How do you plan to make your packages
> FHS-compliant without making any uploads?

That's the point.  The uploads are not required because we have determined
ahead of time that FHS compliance is not critical at this point in time,
though it is now officially policy and we have committed to start moving
things to FHS locations.  Which was good since people had already started
doing this.

> > Why didn't you make that objection before the FHS went in?
>
> If you mean: "Why didn't you objected to the switch from FSSTND to FHS
> if you wanted to make an exception for /var/mail?", the answer is very
> simple:
>
> My mistake.

heh  That explains that.

I do believe every package uploaded now that is not simply a NMU or
similar should in fact be FHS compliant.  I think it is in the best
interests of the users of my packages that my packages are as close to
compliant with current policy as possible.  So my packages are all
uploaded with policy 3.0.1 currently.  They also use debhelper v2, but
that's more because I prefer the debhelper v2 way of doing things over the
debhelper v1 way, it's more logical (I hate debian/tmp!) and since I track
changes to debhelper closely I can easily keep up.

However, that we don't want 3000 packages reuploaded right now just to
change a few file locations is a given.  And if packages have not
converted to even partial FHS compliance yet (some people are holding back
because of the /usr/doc issue for example) this is okay---for now.

I agree we cannot indiscriminantly allow developers to implement policy or
not as they choose, however we have agreed that immediate implementation
of FHS standards right now is not yet a smooth operation.  We have issues
to deal with still regarding things like /var/mail, /usr/doc, and the FHS
in policy now mandates /var/state which we know we should not use now.  I
would not object to notice in the policy that says for the moment where
the FHS says /var/state we should read /var/lib and give rationale that
this will be changed in FHS 2.1 which isn't released yet.

Nobody is claiming we don't have to upgrade packages to FHS standards,
however we have come to a consensus agreement that we don't have to do it
before potato's release---except where necessary to support it of course.
This means manpages and info docs need to be able to be in FHS locations,
that we need to figure out what to do with the /usr/share/doc transition
mess, and ... that's right, /var/mail will need to exist.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>             Debian GNU/Linux developer
GnuPG: 2048g/3F9C2A43 - 20F6 2261 F185 7A3E 79FC  44F9 8FF7 D7A3 DCF9 DAB3