Proposal: Naming Conventions for modules

Hello

The following is a proposal to add some rules to the debian policy concerning
the naming conventions for modules, ie perl- and pythonmodules.

Earlier, when I was not debianized that way I am now, I installed Perl/Tk
called perl-tk. Then, I tried to install Gtk-Perl (its current name, if I
remember right). I thought it was called perl-gtk, but it is/was called
libgtk-perl. Now I know, most modules are named libfoo-bar-perl and not
perl-foo-bar.
So, a few days ago I installed python and lots of modules. They have all got
the name naming scheme (at least those I installed), namely python-foo-bar.
That was the point in time I was completely confused.

Long story, short proposal:
In my opinion we should get a stricter policy on this problem, else we will
lose the overview of all those modules (although most maintainers name the
modules after the standard scheme). It should be decided whether the modules
start with libfoo-bar-language or with language-foo-bar. Both is a bad mix.
Switching the programming language and the scheme of searching for modules is
IMHO not a solution and not the intention I think/hope.

MfG/Greetings, Alexander

--
Alexander Reelsen       http://joker.rhwd.owl.de
"BUGS    This manpage is confusing."