Re: Debian conflicts with FHS on /usr/include/{linux,asm}

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

> Yes and no. :) There is a default install that assumes #include
> <linux/whatever> is your current kernel version, and it does
> not prompt you for a -I to specify. It's not difficult to edit
> the makefiles by hand and add this, but Joe User is never going
> to be able to figure this out.

Well, that's just broken.  If they want to know what kernel version
you're running, they ought to ask the kernel (uname -r), not make an
assumption that is not guaranteed to be true.

Wanting to build unstable kernels on a system that is running a stable
kernel is a perfectly sane thing to do, in which case the headers
won't match, and this is not unique to Debian.

As someone who was repeatedly bitten by drifting header versions when
building things like ppp, I would absolutely hate to go back to the
/usr/include --> /usr/src/linux links.

Finding that you cannot rebuild a package, that built perfectly
yesterday, simply because you decided to have a look at the latest
kernel source, is very depressing.

Cheers, Phil.