Re: Clarification: Eliminate nagging at installation time?

> As an example, what would happen to netbase's postinst questions and
> comments?  It currently warns about stopping the portmapper (and thus
> possibly doing horrible things to any rpc processes, such as NFS), it
> asks if you want to add some IPv6 entries to /etc/hostsc (which could
> possibly do bad things to programs not coping with ipv6 addressing, but
> doesn't seem to), and if you want ipfwadm to make calls to ipchains under
> kernel 2.2 or not.

start-stop-deamon stuff will allways ask, but there could be an option
that says "restart all" or "restart none". You can hardly automate
this service and I think its to difficult and dangerous to try.
Some things should still be changed, e.g. when installing deb files
via pcmcia, it should not deactivate pcmcia and then get something via
net.

> There are reasonable defaults for all these things, and they can all
> be fixed after install. But it seems to me that the possibility of
> having your system suddenly get trashed for no apparent reason makes
> the nagging worthwhile.

On updates the thing will look completly different. The frontend
(whatever one uses) should come up with a list of packages that have
altered configs for you to looki at and decide to take or reject the
changes made by the packages author.

On first time installation theres nothing to break.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin