Re: Is /etc/rc.boot/ obsolete or not?

    Miquel> Well, what's wrong is that there is no certain order of
    Miquel> execution defined for the scripts in /etc/rc.boot. Then we
    Miquel> got things like /etc/rc.boot/0serial and such, so why not
    Miquel> use a system that does things the same as /etc/rc?.d.

Right, but I think /etc/rc.boot/ has a proper place in the world.  For
instance, my nethack startup script does *not* care which order it's
run in. It just should be run once, on system startup.  All it does is
try to recover crashed temporary save files.

I think both /etc/rcS.d/ and /etc/rc.boot/ have their place, and
I know personally that /etc/rc.boot/ is far more convenient for
non-packages that need to start up once on bootup and don't
want (or care) to know about update-rc.d.

Thoughts?

--
Brought to you by the letters N and M and the number 13.
"He's like.. some sort of.. non-giving up.. school guy!"