Is /etc/rc.boot/ obsolete or not?

I'm going through my old bug reports, and I remembered people
telling me /etc/rc.boot/ is obsolete. But I just went to look at
the new policy (I assume 3.0.0.0 is the latest) and it has the same
old stuff about /etc/rc.boot/ :

(snip)

3.3.4 Boot-time initialization

There is another directory, /etc/rc.boot, which contains scripts which
are run once per machine boot. This facility is provided for
initialization of hardware devices, cleaning up of leftover files, and
so forth.

For example, the kbd package provides a script here for initializing
the keyboard layout and console font and mode.

The files in /etc/rc.boot should not be links into /etc/init.d--they
should be the scripts themselves.

rc.boot should not be used for starting general-purpose daemons and
similar activities. This should be done using the rcn.d scheme, above,
so that the services can be started and stopped cleanly when the
runlevel changes or the machine is to be shut down or rebooted.

(snip)

So can I keep using /etc/rc.boot/ ? :) What was wrong with using
it in the first place? It's incredibly convenient..

If not, where is information on what I am to use in replacement?
Is this going to be made policy?

--
Brought to you by the letters W and Z and the number 7.
"A baloo is a bear."