Re: new policy revision

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         At long last, I have created a new policy version, the one
>  that is destined to be version 3.0.0.0. As promised, I am not
>  uploading this package, but presenting it here in order that people
>  have a first look at it and make sure I have not made major
>  mistakes. http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/

I found two little typos in line 1054 and 1055 of policy.sgml:
s/proipose/propose/; s/ahve/have/

In line 907 of policy.sgml I would prefer to read "policy" instead of
"manual", this wasn't completely clear for me, when I read it first.

upgrading-checklist.text should be extended to support the new policy.
You should especially mention, the following FHS changes:

s#/usr/doc#/usr/share/doc#
s#/usr/man#/usr/share/man#
s#/usr/info#/usr/share/info#
s#/usr/doc/COPYRIGHT#/usr/share/common-licenses#

Especially the move from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc should be very
well documented, because there is no automatism to find a
documentation in /usr/doc/<package> or /usr/share/doc/<package>. This
may be very annoying to the user searching for documentation. Maybe
there should be a interim solution using symlinks? And how does this
work with the web servers showing the documentation?
http://localhost/doc/ points to /usr/doc/ at the moment, but how does
this work, when some packages install their documentation in /usr/doc
and others in /usr/share/doc?

We shouldn't publish this new policy before there is a solution for
the above noted problems. It's no problem that some packages install
their man- or info- pages in /usr/share/{man,info}, because the
readers (should) handle multiple directories correct, but I don't see
such an easy solution for /usr/doc vs. /usr/share/doc.

It's great that logrotate is now the official way to rotate log files.
Should we make the logrotate package a "required" package now or
should every package using it, "Depend" on it?

Ciao

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *
 PGP: 1024/DD08DD6D   2D E7 CC DE D5 8D 78 BE  3C A0 A4 F1 4B 09 CE AF