Re: /var/state?

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Did Debian adopt FHS 2.0 at any point?  If it hasn't, then /var/state
> shouldn't be showing up anywhere.  If Debian policy is now "FHS
> instead of FSSTND", then please nag me to release FHS 2.1 officially.

We made a statement of our intent to move to the FHS over a longish time
period to allow changes for major things like /var/state and /usr/doc.
Several of our packages use /var/state and /var/cache for the proper
things, several do not.. Nothing ever got moved to /usr/share/doc AFAIK.

I think APT has been using it for about 2 years now.

Personally I think /var/state is a much more accurate name, but I
understand the reasons for not wanting to switch :>

Jason