Re: /var/state?

On 27-Jun-99, 10:00 (CDT), Marc Haber <Marc.Haber-lists@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> /var/state isn't in the fsstnd, yet it exists on Debian slink. Is
> there a text available that states what belongs into /var/state vs.
> /var/lib ("application state information")?

/var/state was originally part of the FHS (v 2.0?). There were lots
of objections, do the difficulting many packages would have in moving
existing state info from /var/lib. The most recent drafts for FHS 2.1
have removed /var/state, but changed the specification of /var/lib to
be more consistent with the actual usage. Or so I understand from Dan
Quinlan's summaries.

Steve