Re: Menu-2.0, optimized menu tree, hints

Joey Hess wrote:
> Well the alternative that has been brought up before is to make everything
> use a deeper tree (like Apps/Editors/Big/Emacsen), and have menu
> automatically collapse the tree to Apps/Editors on your system with 2 editors
> and keep the big tree on mine (that has every editor installed).

Thinking about this some more, the hints method with no added hints, just
using the exisiting menu hierarchy as it's hints, has about this effect now,
doesn't it?

As Joost noted, it is possible if there are two lower level menus like
Apps/Setup and WindowManagers/Setup, it might still decide to reorganize
them into Setup/Apps and WindowManagers/Setup. But that'll only happen if
there are 2 menus with the same names at different places in the hierarchy,
and this is not currently the case in the menu hierarchy.

I think I'm leaning towards embracing this new system but being extremly
cautious about which new hints are added to menu items and examining all the
ramifications of each proposed new hint to make sure it doesn't lead to
unwanted behavior.

--
see shy jo