Re: Menu-2.0, optimized menu tree, hints

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> joost witteveen wrote:

> > Although this procedure ignores the real debian tree (so much
> > discussed about), it does eventually come up that look surprisingly
> > like just that tree.

> Can you post an example? The thing I'm concerned about is consistency
> accross machines (and across upgrades).

I'm also a little concerned about possible confusion for the
individual users.  As it is now, when I install a new package, and I
can't find the menu entry in the first place I look, I just go check
the /usr/lib/menu/pkg file to see where the entry is.  It sounds like
with this, I'd get no more than some possible *guesses* where the
entry might have actually ended up in my actual menus.

> Keep in mind that a big advantage of the current system is you can
> sit down at any Debian machine, anywhere, and go directly to the
> item you want, once you know the menu hierarchy.

Now, that's not exactly true.  The local sysadmin may well have put
overrides in /etc/menu.  But I agree that it's something to consider,
as this probably greatly increases the chance that things will not be
where you expect them.