Re: Editor and sensible-editor

knghtbrd@debian.org (Joseph Carter) wrote:
>Not even.  pico CANNOT be packaged for Debian!  The best that can be done
>is offer the source and let you build it yourself.  If you do that, pico
>will provide the editor alternative.  If you want it to be the default
>system editor, anybody else using your system will want to hurt you, but
>being your system you are of course free to raise its priority with
                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>update-alternatives and make it the system default.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Of course, you're free to do this, but I think it's the wrong way to go
about it.  AIUI, the right way to set the default editor on your system,
if you don't want the one update-alternatives chooses automatically,
is -not- to muck about with priorities, but simply to
   *** go to /etc/alternatives and change the "editor" symlink. ***

That's the way update-alternatives was designed to operate (as far as
I know, and I did spend a fair bit of time trawling through the source
in enough detail to write the man page for it, so I think I'm right).

If you use update-alternatives to fiddle with the priority,
you may find that the default gets reset when you next upgrade.
(Some alternatives-using packages try to guard against this, but it's
risky to rely on it.)  The proper way is just to change the symlink.
When update-alternatives next runs on that group of alternatives, it'll
notice what you did, and switch that alteratives group to "manual mode",
so your changes are not lost.

HTH,

--
Charles Briscoe-Smith