Re: [ACCEPTED 1999/05/09] Utmp group proposal

In article <cistron.19990608171206.A32535@soil.nl>,
Wichert Akkerman  <wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>+	  <tt>/var/log/lastlog</tt> should be installed writeable by group
>+	  utmp.  Programs who need to modify those files should be installed
>+	  install setgid utmp.</p></sect>

/var/run/utmp is created by init at bootup, and so in the next init version
there'll be a check to see if the utmp group is present in /etc/group
and if so the permissions on /var/run/utmp will be 664 group utmp.

But /var/log/wtmp and /var/log/lastlog don't belong to a package - how
do we make sure the permissions on those files get changed? Should
base-files take care of that ?

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?