Re: [PROPOSAL DRAFT]: editor and sensible-editor

Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> writes:

> On 02-Jun-99, 06:22 (CDT), Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> Goswin, you're absolutely correct. The only issue is that for programs
> which already have 'if (ed=getenv("EDITOR")) system(ed); else
> system("editor")' or somesuch will need a Debian specific patch, but
> what the hell. Ahh, the other issue is that sensible-editor is bash
> specific, so that instead of simply cranking up ae (or whatever the
> user selected), it will now start a bash, and then and ae....

Maybe we could rename sensible-editor to editor. I just hate having
two things make the same.

editor could be removed and sensible-editor would be renamed to editor
and call /etc/alternatives/editor when $EDITOR is unset. The
additional bash that gets started is irellevant, since bash will be in
memory anyway and exec $EDITOR frees the little unshared memory.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin