Re: Let's Debian blow... gracefully (was: Re: CORRECTION: weekly policy summary)

Quoting Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>:

> On 30-May-99, 07:37 (CDT), Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> wrote:
> >
> > Somebody mentioned another upcomming and more complete proposal by
> > Wichert Akkerman in this area.
> >
> > I would like to see Wicherts proposal before rushing this proposal
> > throug. I also understanded Fabien such that this was only a quick idea>

Quick idea? Not really... but quick wording for a non-native english
speaker, yes. That's one of the reason I not made a proposal on the
first try.

> I concur that we should wait. I definitely agree with the concept, but
> it has some significant affects on the archive, and I don't think we
> want to have to do it twice.
>
> Steve

Agree with you... When the logo vote will be done, I will wait no more
than a week for Wichert Proposal (or at least some news from him about
something related), elsewhere I will make it a formal Proposal
(referring to Manoj's Policy Document).

As I previously said, I know that my proposal have some drawbacks and
I wait Wichert for something more well thought and scalable. The
"gracefullness blowing" of Debian is a major concern in the distro for
too much time (I remember to have seen this subject when Bruce was the
leader) and I think my solutions is easy enough to implement and will
really help.

At least, is really better than a RH-like-contrib distribution (something
I think we could avoid by NOT dividing the distro with priorities (like
standard-and-greater and less-than-standard distros).

I could think of many other ways to divided the distro. My "future
proposal" is just the simpler way I can think to keep our fully
integrated distro (one of the strongest points of Debian, IMHO) when
managing the always bigger problem of Debian exponential growth.

Just my 2 pennies,

Fabien Ninoles        Chevalier servant de la Dame Catherine des Rosiers
aka Corbeau aka le Veneur                    Debian GNU/Linux maintainer
E-mail:                                                    fab@tzone.org
WebPage:                                    http://www.tzone.org/~fabien
RSA PGP KEY [E3723845]: 1C C1 4F A6 EE E5 4D 99  4F 80 2D 2D 1F 85 C1 70