Re: I'm confused... where do X11 bins go?

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

 Branden> I see so reason /usr/X11R6 has to continue to exist at all.

        One reason that I have encuntered in the past was the need to
 maintain a working, older version of X (say, R6) while toying with a
 newer release (say, R7). Having separate directories in /usr allowed
 my to have both versions installed on the machine (this was a
 departmental server).

        This allowed some people to defer transition until all the
 dependent packages were ported over (there were indeed some
 that needed porting, espescially between R10 and R11). The
 adventurous souls just appended to the PATH variable, initially.

        That allowed us to have adventurous users try the newer
 version before it bacame the default on the system, and it allowed
 people to continue to use the old system after the default changed.

        This may not be a strong reason to some folks, but it is
 indeed areason, and I like the possibility of having both version on
 a machine simultaneously.

        manoj
--
 A hard-luck actor who appeared in one coloossal disaster after
 another finally got a break, a broken leg to be exact.  Someone