Old bugs

OK, here is a brief summary of many of the bug reports currently open
against debian-policy.  It doesn't include those which currently
appear on Joey's weekly policy summary list.  If noone objects, I
propose that we should incorporate this information into Joey's list
(I'll help with that if wanted) and retitle the bugs according to
Manoj's new system so that things become a lot clearer.  My
description of the status is appended by a '?' if I am unsure of my
decision.  "Proposal" includes bug reports which have not yet
presented any actual proposals, and are just in the suggestions stage.
(It also includes at least one withdrawn proposal which has reverted
to a discussion stage.)  I am also using the date in Amendment or
Accepted to indicate the date on which the Proposal received the two
seconds and became an Amendment in its formal discussion period.

I suggest that we try to decide over the next two weeks or so which of
these proposals are going to be formally seconded and become
amendments, which are going to be given a longer discussion period,
and which are going to be rejected.  Then by the end of June, we will
have a large collection of Accepted policy amendments, which can all
be incorporated into version 3.0.0.0 of policy.  This could be made
available on this list or elsewhere for checking and then be released
by mid-July.  (We need to increase the major version number as every
package will now have to use /usr/share/doc rather than /usr/doc.)
This would presumably be in reasonable time for the potato freeze, so
that the changes which are important and need to be made can be.

Proposals currently marked as "normal"
--------------------------------------

 8221  No ispell-dictionary virtual package listed
       [Can probably be closed as the ispell packages all cooperate]

20099  No policy on /etc/environment
       [Should we have one?  A policy on it or even should we have it?]

31441  Require both fcntl() and dotlock locking for mailbox locking to
       prevent mail loss when using NFS
       [Originally raised as a critical bug against mutt]

32263  Desire to split /cgi-bin/ into system and local directories
       [Quite contentious but with good arguments for it if done
       properly]

32448  Change policy 3.3.4 to use /etc/rcS.d instead of the obsolete
       /etc/rc.boot
       [This should be easy: no packages in potato appear to use
       /etc/rc.boot any longer]

33076  New wording for definition of "extra" priority

33826  Para 3.3.2 (note number change!) says /etc/init.d scripts must
       be named /etc/init.d/<package>; what about using '.sh' suffix?

34652  Should there be a /usr/bin/nawk program on Debian systems?

35510  The status of mirror's license.

Proposals currently marked as "wishlist"

11094  Policy should explicitly mention lockfiles, referring to the
       FSSTND (now FHS)

20373  Installation scripts should only run /etc/init.d scripts when
       in an appropriate runlevel

21585  /etc/init.d/script files need not be conffiles if they are
       actively handled by maintainer scripts

21820  A bug in the debian-emacs-policy example script
       back to emacsen-common.

21969  Clarification about Standards-Version
       Summary of a huge thread/flamewar: the changelog for version
         2.4.1.0 of debian-policy contains a description of the
         version-numbering scheme of debian-policy, packaging-manual and
         devel-ref which are all meant to agree on the first three
         components (major, minor version and major patchlevel).  They
         may, however, disagree on minor patchlevel.  Thus it makes
         sense only to use the first three components in the
         Standards-Version field of packages, although use of all four
         components is also OK.  This is documented in the changelog,
         but was never actually incorporated into the policy
         document.  A flamewar ensued about the meaning of the
         changelog sentence....

22518  Maintainer scripts should not fail if /etc/aliases is not a
       file (similar to newaliases)

22935  Hardlinks to conffiles should be avoided wherever possible

23355  Non-maintainer bug report closing
       [Can probably be closed now that we have a 'Fixed' severity]

23661  Security implications of /usr/doc being accessible via
       web-servers
       [This one was apparently brought up on Bugtraq recently, and
       really needs dealing with]

24067  Is it OK to close a bug without fixing it?
       [Obviously not, but there is a debate (flamewar) between
       Santiago and James T over whether this happened in this case]

24133  Default news server should also be looked for using NNTPSERVER
       environment variable

24695  man-browser should be in virtual packages list
       [This could be closed if we class all manpage readers and users
       as cooperating.]

24772  Why are users' mailboxes mode 660 user.mail and not mode 600?

25199  X-dependent binaries should live in /usr/bin, not /usr/X11R6/bin

25533  debian-policy package should contain FHS

25882  uid/gid 100 should be statically allocated
       [I believe that this is a bug in base-passwd and not in policy,
       as did IWJ who submitted the bug in the first place.]

26159  Contact name in virtual-packages-list should be debian-policy
       [We should implement this one soon; it's not really a policy
       issue but rather a question of who should be contacted with
       proposals.  To have proposals sent to Christian is not really
       very useful, IMHO.]

26915  Debian Logo License
       [But what's the proposal?  The bug report doesn't say.  This
       should probably be closed, especially in light of the recent
       vote.]

26995  Problem with fsstnd DVI file
       especially as we are moving to FHS

27137  Reword 2.1.6: programs whose authors encourage donations but
       claim that not donating is immoral etc. should go in non-free,
       not contrib; contrib's defn changed

27205  Daemons should not run as root unless absolutely necessary

27869  Icon locations: where should xpm files and the like live?

28747  Copyright notice and sect. 6.5 should be updated to reflect new
       GPL etc. locations in /usr/share/common-licenses

29770  (a) Rewrite policy to make a clear distinction between
           conffiles (thing's listed in a package's conffile) and
           configuration files
       (b) Modify policy to say: "A package may not modify a
           configuration file of another  package, except by
           arrangement (with that package or by policy)."
       [This should be handled together with #30122]

30036  Including sub-policies (emacs, menu) in the debian-policy package
       [How does this interact with Accepted amendment #37713?]

30122  Cleaning up policy description of conffile management
       [This should be handled together with #29770]

34046  Runlevels policy: should we have a runlevel which does not
       start X (specifically xdm)?

36151  /etc/init.d scripts should specify an explicit PATH so that
       they find the necessary programs such as start-stop-daemon

36619  Specify what is allowed in the PAGER variable

And fixed bug #22308 can be closed.

Phew!

   Julian

  Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, QMW, Univ. of London. J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk