Re: md5sum proposal

On 25 May 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         I still do not see why this has anything to do with the
>  packaging system. If all you want is to ensure that the files on your
>  system have not been modified since the time you installed them (and,
>  frankly, I think you really really should also look at things like
>  /etc/hosts.allow  et al which are ven more critical), then you should
>  run a script locally that does that.

I do not know why you have such a difficult time understanding my
and other peoples emails. Reread the discussion please.

I want a guarantee that the files are the same as on the *maintainers*
system before they went through the whole packing process and yes I know
that the packing process should also guarantee the integrity of the deb as
a whole. I am sure you will repeat that argument again.

hosts.allow? What are you talking about? That is a configuration file.

>         Why forther bloat the packaging system?

Because we want a verification method for the integrity of the
installed files.

I am quite amazed at this argument against md5sums. If it is not perfect
(i.e. someone could later modify the md5sums file, you cannot check
config files) then you dont want to have any way of checking individual
files at all.

Come up with a better solution for checking the individual files if you do
not like this approach but please get a grip on your argument. 3 years of
stubborness is enough.