Re: md5sum proposal

We have tried to get dpkg to do md5sums since over 3 years now. Given the
inertia of the product we have no choice but to continue using what we
have. I introduced md5sums only after it became clear that dpkg was an
essentially deadbeat package and there was persistent demand for such a
feature. Please get dpkg to do md5sums (keep the dream.. err fantasy
alive) but until that time we need to keep using md5sums the way they are
today.

It is useful and has helped me and others figure out corrupted files in a
variety of situations. We are rearguing what has been argued 3 times over
before... Situation has not changed so why bother repeating ourselves?

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> I agree entirely with this. Personally I think our time would be much
> better spent making dpkg write such a file (optionally) as it unpacks the
> .deb - you get exactly the same effect but you don't have the wasted
> space.

                        Christoph Lameter, MSCS, M.Div.
  Available for a job or consulting (see http://lameter.com/consulting.html)