Re: md5sum proposal

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > I doubt the usefullness (dpkg is no backup system). But I
> > will not object.  Indeed, I see some usefulness, but I want
> > to know more about the drawbacks: How do you want to verify
> > the sums (using cruft, maybe?). How long will it need to
> > check the whole fs,

Good question.  To get a ballpark figure:

$ cd /usr/bin
$ time md5sum *

Took 26 seconds to process 1276 files on a PPro200.

> >                     how much disk space will the md5sums
> > occupy. How do you want to store them?

$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | wc
    546     546   17959
$ ls /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums | wc
    275     275    9817

About half the packages installed on my system already have them.
As for how big:

$ du -c /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.md5sums | tail -1
2286    total

That's for 275 packages.

Piotr Roszatycki wrote:

> After some file system crash or any other seasons I'd like to check
> which files are corrupted, i.e. by 'debsums' tool.

This reason alone is enough.  I second the motion.

Peter S Galbraith <psg@debian.org>