Re: PROPOSAL: libtool archive (`*.la) files in `-dev' packages

Hi,

On  6 May, Joey Hess wrote:
 > Chris Waters wrote:
 > > I would like to know more about the pros and cons of the proposal
 > > before participating in any sort of "consensus".  My impression has
 > > been that libtool is mostly not needed on Linux-based systems.  So,
 > > I'm a little dubious about the idea of requiring it in -dev packages.
 > > But I'm open to debate.
 >
 > I think the proposal was just to include .la files in -dev packages if the
 > .la files are produced by the build process. I didn't read it as mandating
 > that everything use libtool.

Exactly.

BTW, let's not forget to Cc Gary these messages.  He's not subscribed
to the list but he may be able to shed some light on some libtool
issues when time permits since he is one of the libtool team members.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu>
Center for Distributed Object Computing, Washington University, St. Louis