Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

[...]

 JC> I came up with a list of packages affected:

 JC>      afterstep, aview, cgoban, cjk-latex, dox, enlightenment,
 JC> enlightenment-docs, enlightenment-nosound,
 JC> enlightenment-theme-brushedmetal, enlightenment-theme-clean,
 JC> enlightenment-theme-cleanbig, enlightenment-theme-estepclassic,
 JC> enlightenment-theme-estepnew, enlightenment-theme-ice,
 JC> enlightenment-theme-shinymetal, freetype-tools, freetype1,
 JC> freetype1-dev, freetype2, freetype2-dev, freewrl, fvwmconf, gem,
 JC> gltt-bin, gltt2, gltt2-dev, hatman, html2ps, imagemagick,
 JC> imgsizer, libgfont, libgfont-dev, libmagick4-dev,
 JC> libmagick4-lzw-dev, libmagick4g, libmagick4g-lzw, mgp, moonlight,
 JC> mozilla, netscape3, netscape4, pcd2html, pd, perlmagick, php3,
 JC> php3-cgi, php3-cgi-gd, php3-gd, pike-image, roxen, webmagick,
 JC> xfstt, xmbdfed, xmorph, yudit

You're being silly.  Go back and figure out which of these *require*
TTFs (i.e. won't work with a truly free font format).  It's okay if
they depend on freetype.

 JC> The whole point is simple:  How far do we want to go?

The lines are a lot clearer than you imply.  Try looking for them, and
you'll see that they're there, and can be described without invoking
personal taste.

 JC> Are we going put lilo in contrib because of the non-free BIOS in
 JC> your PC next?

Nope.  BIOS is hardware, not software.  You can't have a working
computer without a BIOS, so it's silly to argue about the usefulness
of lilo on a computer that doesn't have a BIOS.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)