Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

Branden Robinson <branden@ecn.purdue.edu> writes:

> I'm not saying ICQ or AIM are quite as complicated as X, but I am saying
> that feasibility in principle is a far cry from feasibility in practice.
> This is why I am concerned about risk of enslavement to "practically
> proprietary" protocols, especially when proprietary interests try to lure
> you into it by distributing the client side as widely and freely as
> possible, but keeping the server under lock and key.

When you have a client under GPL, you have documentation for the
protocol in terms of source code, and you should have all you need to
write something to communicate with it from the other end.

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 85,318,008th prime number is 1,724,544,457.