Re: The i386 ABI?

 LA> Are there any plans to do something about this at some point in
 LA> the future (maybe when the next major incompatibility after ELF,
 LA> Linux 2.0 and glibc2 arises)?

I am working on a proposal for changes to dpkg/dinstall that will
take ABI dependencies into consideration.  These changes will allow
people such as yourself to start new `ports' to a different ABI, while
reusing the existing packages as much as possible.

I don't know anything about the rest of the issues you bring up,
though.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
Committed to freedom and diversity \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)