Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

Bredewlow,

You have raised a number of important issues. However I think we need to
wait until Gordon finishes his proposal he is working on until we start
debating again, to ensure that we are all looking at the same set of
issues. Otherwise it gets too confusing for everybody involved.

>Why do we have an architecture field at all?

I think you will find Gordon has removed this field when he finishes
his proposal.

>You don`t need to download anything. They would be link farms anyway.
>You would chose the directory descibing the selection of release,
>arch, os,... that suits your needs best and download that, while
>resolving the links therein. Also you could download the links and
>automatically download all packages that links point to that you don`t
>have already.

FTP reorganisation may not be part of Gordon's initial proposal, but
one thing at a time, please! (I agree - I may have been at fault for
bringing up too many things at once before, however we probably should
stop it before it gets out of hand).

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au>