Re: /etc/init.d scripts WAS: Re: start-stop-daemon on Debian (fwd)

Brock Rozen <brozen@torah.org> wrote:
> And if the PATH wasn't appended, how would su -c /etc/init.d/blah be any
> different, except that it may not run?

So?  It's not as if su -c is the only issue involved.  And, not running
is only relevant before these other issues are addressed.

> If that's desired behavior, because we want to force users to not be
> able to issue commands like that (even if they so desire) then that's
> one thing. OTOH, it's not only a matter of root's PATH being changed
> like everyone is making it out to be. The above su command is a good
> example of another case where the proper PATH might not be available
> unless the script appends what it needs.

Except that you always need to think about security implications when
dealing with activity which system priviledges.

--
Raul