Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy

  Carl> Laurent Martelli <martelli@iie.cnam.fr> writes:

  >>  I think it'd be better to fix window managers so that they can
  >> cope with long menus, à la WindowMaker for instance. A decent
  >> window manager should be able to do this.

  Carl> Yes, window managers should cope with long menus.  However, a)
  Carl> some of them won't (I believe Debian ships several window
  Carl> managers with essentially no upstream development); and

Don't we have the sources ?

  Carl> b) very long menus are annoying from a UI standpoint.  So I
  Carl> think keeping the menu length down is still a worthwhile goal.

This is true. However, big menu depths are also annoying for a UI
standpoint. And I don't know which one is worth. Anyway, I think that
menus are annoying when you have a bug number of items, and choosing
the item by typing it's name with completion can be a good
alternative. So let's implement M-x for WindowMaker :-) Mmm, it looks
like a good old shell ...

Laurent