Re: [PROPOSED] moving the menu hierarchy into debian policy

[ Note that I think all this discussion is a little premature - I'd still
like to get the current proposal into policy first. ]

Chris Waters wrote:
> This is why *my* number one, absolute top priority for changes to the
> current menu system is to put in a TOP LEVEL ENTRY NAMED "Help".  With
> at least: "Debian Online Help" (currently hidden in Apps/Tools), Gnome
> Help (currently in Apps/Viewers), tkinfo (currently in Apps/Viewers),
> and xman (location unknown).  This is SOO important for novices!

I completly agree.

> > * You need to limit menus to no more than 15 items, 10 is better. Otherwise
> >   they won't fit on some screens.
>
> This is a whole 'nuther ball of wax.  Joost mentioned this when I
> discussed menus with him.  The problem is that you cannot predict
> which packages will be installed, so you need to write some sort of
> intelligent heuristics.  If you just create a wider, deeper set of
> categories, you're going to end up with all sorts of nearly-empty
> menus on a lot of peoples systems (most?).  Which is Not Good.  There
> is a *lot* of work involved in trying to achieve this one.  Therefore,
> I suggest we ignore this issue until we come up with a Good scheme.

Right. One easy way to handle this that I rememer talking about with Joost
was making menu detect menus with only 1 or 2 items in them, and collapsing
such menus into the parent menu. That would be nice to have. Until menu
supports that though, we just need to keep an eye on large menus like
Apps/Net and be prepared to split them when they are too big on most systems.

--
see shy jo