Re: Debian GNU [was: smarter way to differ architectures needed?]

Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@trick.fig.org> writes:

>  BM> When the source package is compiled, the appropriate items from
>  BM> the "Nonshared-depends" would get moved to "Depends".
>
> Or, equivalently, the `||' symbols in the Depends field would be
> replaced with the dependency that was actually used.

I have to say I really prefer using a different field for this; I
might go so far as to suggest that on compilation those dependencies
which come from the "Nonshared-depends" field (I'm not wild about that
name, but I don't have a better idea myself at the moment) go into a
new field, to ease in transition to the new system.

Of course, this is assuming that anyone actually wants to code the
implementation of this...