Re: Making the Info system FHS-compliant

Thanks for answering!

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 03:46:09PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > First, we should forbid the use of the hardcoded install-info's --infodir
> > option in all maintainer scripts. This is really evil, because it does not
> > allow us to change the location of the index file in a centralized place,
> > i.e., by telling the install-info script itself (internally) to use a
> > different location.
> >
> > [ BTW: Is there a lintian check for the use of the --infodir option?
> >   If there is not, maybe there should be, because the example in policy
> >   about registering info docs does not use the --infodir option ].
>
> $ grep -- --infodir /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.p*
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ispell.postinst:     --infodir=/usr/info \
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ispell.prerm:        --infodir=/usr/info \
>
> raise bugs (I have always heard that this was forbitten).

Yes, but you know: "Whenever a bug is likely to be present on several
packages it is better a lintian check for it".

(Richard?)

This same package (ispell) is the only one in my own system, so I guess
the number of packages affected should be small.

If there are not many of them, maybe we should backport fixed versions of
them into stable, so that we can complete the Info transition to FHS in
potato (if we actually agree that we should not go any further until there
are no packages using the --infodir option, I mean).

Thanks.

--
 "991271dd067fdf7723775fbd01037ca4" (a truly random sig)