Re: Cross-compilers

Santiago Vila wrote:
>   No large software packages should use a direct subdirectory under the
>   /usr hierarchy. [...]
>
> I think that a cross-compiler is not a "large" software package like the X
> Window System.

I think you may be reading too much into the word "large". The complete
paragaph:

  No large package (such as TeX and GNU Emacs) should use a direct
  subdirectory of /usr.  Instead, there should be a subdirectory within
  /usr/lib (or /usr/local/lib if it was installed completely locally) for
  the purpose.  An exception is made for the X Window System because of
  considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.

Given this context, I feel they used "large" because historical offenders
have been TeX, Emacs, and X, all large packages that tend to be so big they
have their own ideosyncratic and difficult-to-change ways of doing things. I
see no technical reason why the size of the package should influence whether
it may contain a directory or not. I think it's clear that the authors of the
FSSTND would object to at 72k /usr/debhelper/ just as much as they would to
a /usr/emacs/. If you open the door to /usr/<arch>, you're opening the door
to a whole lot more..

Why not just contact the FSSTND authors for a clarification?

> * In case they are "forbidden" by the FHS. What are the real benefits
> of Debian following the FHS in this case?

There is a large benefit to debian in being able to say we are FSSTND
complient. The FSSTND is an important linux standard.

> * Should we add a paragraph to the policy so that this is allowed?

No.

--
see shy jo