Re: smarter way to differ architectures needed?

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 1999 at 04:29:36PM +0200, Brederlow wrote:
> Furthermore, the Hurd does quite some things differently then linux, and we
> will exploit additional functionality beyond the usual Unix system. So,
> special versions of tar etc will be used on Hurd.
>
> Thus, a system field is still needed, especially because we diverge even in
> arhcitecture all area.

OK.

> > If hurd stays incompatible with linux, put hurd stuff into
> >
> > /debian-hurd/dists/<dist>/...
> >
> > and netbsd stuff into
> >
> > /debian-netbsd/...
> >
> > and so on. Its no use mixing hurd stuff with linux stuff, iff they
> > stay incompatible. People will get confused and download the wrong
> > stuff.
>
> I would feel disappointed by such a "solution". Seperating out a port will
> make all integration efforts harder, and please consider the consequences
> for our complete infrastructure (mirror, documentation, etc). Furthermore,
> most of the binary all stuff is equally useful for both systems.

It's not quite a port, it's a different operating system. :)

> People won't get confused. They are not confused now. Why should they? Most
> of the time they use apt or dselect anyway, and the people who manually get
> packages from the ftp site will either know what they do or pay attention to
> the names of the directories. Also, people should understand what Hurd and
> Linux is and where they differ.
>
> > Also its much easier to mirror or download the stuff.
>
> How so? I don't see this.

When I'm a hurd fan, I can just select debian-hurd and hit the
download key (together with stabling symlincs) and I have my hurd for
all my archs.

Also a structure with the arch right at the front would allow
downloading all arch-xxx stuff in a simple way.

As I said (probably in some other thread), we should have a script
that does all the orderings of the different fields and create a
symlink tree for it. That would give e.g. the following structures:

/debian/link-farm/debian-hurd/...    (just hurd stuff below this)
/debian/link-farm/arch-i386/...      (all i386 and all stuff below this)
/debian/link-farm/slink/...          (all slink stuff below here)

One could use whatever sorting one likes and have a clean tree for
downloading or mirroring. If I find some spare time, I will write a
little script to generate such a link-farm. The link-farm probably
shoudn't link all files, but just the directories for the sections
(e.g. base, doc, X11). That way, it wouldn't be that many links.

Thinking about it, it would also be nice to have
/debian/link-farm/dists/slink/required/...
and similar. :)

> Thanks,
> Marcus

May the Source be with you.