RE: Is HTML compressed?

On Fri, 26 Feb 1999, Shaleh wrote:

> On 25-Feb-99 Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > I've got a package with _loads_ of .html files, but I can't see if they
> > should be compressed or not.  The policy-manual describes what to do for
> > info files and manpages, but not for HTML - it just falls under the
> > "compress unless it's small".
> >
> > I've no idea which webserver can server .gz files uncompressed, but I'd
> > think it was most of them.
>
> If it goes into /usr/docs, compress large files (dh_compress takes care of
> this).  The user is responsible for uncompressing the info.
>
> New apaches can be forced to read gzipped pages.

As far as I know, neither debstd or dh_compress compresses html files.
This way the user does not have to copy the files somewhere or install
a web server.

There are also many common-sense things that are not reflected in policy
yet. For example, neither debstd or dh_compress compress *.gif files,
because *.gif files are almost always already compressed.

Maybe it's time to amend policy so that it matches current practice
and common sense.

Thanks.

--
 "cf1a6313e35860b861710f7089255c4e" (a truly random sig)