Re: Is the dependency rule distribution-wise?

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Joey Hess wrote:
> > So will this mean that if your packages match the overrides file, the line
> > in the overrides file will be removed?
>
> I'm not sure if they intended this to be done automatic.. Richard,
> can you step in and comment here?

Heh, it was just an idea I was kicking around.  I never worked out the
details, and I haven't discussed it with the other archive maintainers.
So there's no "they" :-)

Joey's description is close to what I had in mind, except that the
line wouldn't be removed, it would just get "-" in certain fields.
That way, new packages are still added manually, but section and/or
priority can be left to the package maintainers in most cases.  (Stuff
like the oldlibs section, or presence in "base", can then be handled
with mass overrides.)

Putting in those -'s automatically would only be useful for the hybrid
system.  Once the only overrides left are real overrides, I'd want them
to stay overridden.

Standardizing on dpkg -isp when building packages is going to be
necessary to pull this off.  Right now, all information of where a
package wants to be is lost after it is installed.  I'd like to see
inclusion of the section and priority fields made the default in any
case.

Richard Braakman