Re: Is the dependency rule distribution-wise?

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > If the dependency rule is to be considered "distribution-wise", ncurses3.4
> > may not be made optional in a certain release until all the packages of
> > standard or higher priorities have been recompiled in the same release.
>
> Which means that when uploading ncurses 3.4 the maintainer made a mistake
> and used the wrong priority. [...]

No. The priorities in the source control file are not "authoritative".
The only priority that really counts is the one in the override file.

If ncurses3.4 source has "optional" in the control file, is because it was
expected that most packages would be recompiled with libncurses4 before
the release.

If this has not been the case, you can't blame the uploader (btw: me, in
this case) for not "guessing the future".

That's exactly what the override file is for.

> Unfortunately slink is already frozen and
> this bug is not important enough to change it.

Since when we fix only important bugs during the freeze?

As the freeze is more solid, we of course restrict uploads because they
require compiling, this has risks, but changing a single line in the
override file does not have any risks.

--
 "d65beb27e894256ddf40a3a98bdcf3bc" (a truly random sig)